At North Central Area Agency on Aging, we strive to ensure our community has the tools to live their lives to their fullest. We provide FREE evidence based workshops facilitated by trained leaders in the community, where you will learn several tools to better manage your conditions and build relationships with others in the workshops. Read more about our programs below!
The Live Well Program
Are you an adult with an ongoing health condition such as arthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, chronic pain, diabetes, anxiety or depression? Or do you care for someone who does?
Live Well workshops can help you be in control and feel better. We offer three different Live Well workshops to aid you in managing your conditions. These workshops are offered in person, virtually and telephonically. You will learn to set your own goals and make a step-by-step plan to improve your health – and your life. You will learn from trained leaders who understand because they _have health conditions themselves or care for someone with a health condition.
Check out our NCAAA events calendar for upcoming workshops !!
Additionally, you will also learn:
- Practical ways to deal with pain and fatigue;
- Better nutrition and exercise choices;
- Better ways to talk to your doctor about your health;
- Communication techniques to help make your needs known.
Mind Over Matter; Healthy Bladder, Heathy Bowels
The Mind Over Matter workshop, in particular, helps women build skills and confidence to adopt exercises and make diet changes to improve bladder and/or bowel symptoms. With help from a trained facilitator, women in Mind Over Matter work together to set their own goals and track their progress.
What topics does Mind Over Matter cover?
- The pelvic floor: How our bladder, bowels, and pelvic floor muscles work together;
- Building confidence to set and achieve reasonable goals;
- How to do low-impact pelvic floor muscle exercises (Kegels);
- How to adjust fluid intake and fiber intake to improve bladder and bowel function;
- Helping one another solve problems and cope with setbacks;
- Learning about other solutions if symptoms are not cured through workshop;
- Asking for more & navigating uncomfortable discussions with healthcare providers;
For more information about either Live Well or Mind Over Matter workshop schedules and registration steps, please contact Carley Taft, NCAAA Community Health Educator (860)724-6443 x224 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Also click below for our upcoming workshops !!!
- CHRONIC DISEASE MANAGEMENT WORKSHOPS -2023 (Click on the month below for the flyer)
Vaccine Expansion Project
On March 29, 2021, President Biden announced that the administration was taking further action to expand access to COVID-19 vaccines. One action included in this expansion is that through a partnership between the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Administration for Community Living (ACL), ACL would provide nearly $100 million to help increase vaccinations among older adults and people with disabilities. Here in the Greater Hartford Area, we were pleased to be able to fund a number of organizations’ ideas for increasing vaccine access and keeping our communities safe and healthy. For more about the organizations.
We have also been able to do some work on the COVID-19 front in our own organization. In June we hosted a webinar with Health Equity Solutions featuring Liany Elba Arroyo, Director of Hartford’s Department of Health and Human Services.
For anyone looking for more information or help with setting up a vaccine appointment or for more resources on the vaccine please contact Carley Taft at email@example.com or 860-724-6443 x224.